The 2021 Residential Architect Design Awards Deadline Has Been Extended!
RADA 2021 Deadlines
Early Bird Registration: Oct. 8, 2021 (11:59 p.m., EDT)
Oct. 18, 2021 (11:59 p.m., EDT) Oct. 22, 2021 (11:59 p.m., EDT)
Entry Completion and Submission:
Oct. 18, 2021 (11:59 p.m., EDT) Oct. 22, 2021 (11:59 p.m., EDT)
The Residential Architect Design Awards (RADA) recognize outstanding work in advancing residential design. Judging will take place in November 2021. Winning entries will be notified in November 2021, and published in the November/December 2021 issue of ARCHITECT.
The entry process for RADA is entirely digital. Use Chrome or Firefox as your browser when registering and completing the forms.
Entries should be submitted by an architect or designer. Other building industry professionals may submit projects on behalf of an architect or designer. Projects outside the U.S. are welcomed. Any home or project completed after Jan. 1, 2018, is eligible.
Standard Entry Categories (Early Bird Fee: $150 | Regular Fee: $200)
- Custom / 3,000 Square Feet or Less
- Custom / More Than 3,000 Square Feet
- Renovation (residential remodeling and additions) / Adaptive Reuse
- Restoration / Preservation
- Multifamily Housing
- Affordable Housing
- Architectural Interiors (build-outs, interior renovations)
- Student Housing
- On the Boards (any unbuilt residential project not yet completed)
Specialty Entry Categories (Early Bird Fee: $120 | Regular Fee: $170)
- Architectural Design Detail
- New Approaches to Housing and Specialty Homes (built accessory dwelling units, tiny homes, micro-units, multigenerational housing, co-living, co-housing, etc. PLEASE NOTE: submissions in this category must be built. All unbuilt projects should be submitted to category 10. On the Boards)
Individual projects should be submitted in only one Standard Entry Category. Projects may be submitted to a Standard Entry Category and then to one or more Specialty Entry Categories.
Oct. 8, 2021 → Registration deadline for early bird entries (pay for your entry by this date; you will have until the regular deadline to upload and complete your support materials)
Oct. 18, 2021 Oct. 22, 2021 (11:59 p.m., EDT) → Submission deadline for early bird and regular entries
Early Bird Registration Fees
$150 → Standard Category Entry
$120 → Specialty Category Entry
Regular Registration Fees
$200 → Standard Category Entry
$170 → Specialty Category Entry
Note: You will be charged the regular fee of $200 per Standard Category Entry and $170 per Special Category Entry for entries registered after 11:59 p.m. EDT, Oct. 8, 2021. All entry materials, regardless of when they were registered, must be received by 11:59 PM, eastern time,
Oct. 18, 2021 Oct. 22, 2021.
No refunds will be issued.
All materials submitted to the 2021 RADA program become the property of Zonda Media, which will not be responsible or liable for them. Entry fees are non-refundable.
How to Enter
You can register, complete your entry forms, and upload your entry materials (including images, drawings, and plans) by submitting everything through this website in a three-step process.
- STEP ONE: Register your project(s) and pay the entry fee(s).
- STEP TWO: Fill out the online entry forms and upload your entry materials, as outlined in the next section. With your login credentials, you can return to this website to add to or modify your entry at a later date, up until the final deadline.
- STEP THREE: Finalize and submit your application. In order to submit your application, you must go through the payment wall at the end of the submission materials section, regardless of whether you submit a regular or late application. In addition, once you finalize and submit an entry, you will not be able to edit it further.
Your entry will consist of an online entry form and supporting documents that can be uploaded to this website. The online entry form will ask for the following:
- Entrant (contact details for the person preparing the entry)
- Firm (contact details for the firm responsible for the project)
- Client (contact details and client description)
- Project (including description, site and zoning constraints, square footage, etc.)
After filling out this information, you will have an opportunity to upload supporting documents for your entry. Files can be .jpg images with a maximum width and height of 2,000 pixels, Microsoft Word .doc files, or .mp4 files. You can upload up to 20 files total, not to exceed 50MB total.
These supporting documents must include:
- Photographs of the completed project in .jpg format
- Site plan, floor plans, and sections in .jpg format
Optional documents include:
- Energy modeling diagrams, drawings, and model photos, in .jpg format
- Performance qualifications and diagrams, in Word .doc or .jpg format
- Videos in .mp4 format
Rules and Regulations
WHO CAN ENTER Entries should be submitted by an architect or designer. Other building industry professionals may submit projects on behalf of an architect or designer. Projects outside the U.S. are welcomed. Any home or project completed after Jan. 1, 2018, is eligible.
PUBLICATION Winners will be featured in ARCHITECT magazine with expanded coverage online. (View the winners of the 2020 Residential Architect Design Awards.)
ENTRY CATEGORIES During the submission process, you will be asked to identify each submission by type (see categories above). Only one category may be selected per submission, and each project may only be entered in one Standard Entry Category. Projects entered in Standard Entry Categories may also be entered in Specialty Entry Categories.
PROCESS DOCUMENTATION Entries should document the design process, as well as its result. Photographs of the completed project and floor plans are required. Sections and detail drawings are optional. ARCHITECT encourages entrants to include copies of preliminary sketches, alternative preliminary schemes, information on context, precedents for the design, and excerpts from working drawings, all of which should be submitted in .jpg format, with a maximum file height and width of 2,000 pixels.
ANONYMITY To maintain anonymity in judging, no names of entrants or collaborating parties may appear on any submission materials except where specifically requested on the online entry forms. Do not, however, conceal the identity or location of projects.
ENTRY FORMS Each submission must be registered online ahead of the submission deadline using this website. Additional materials must also be uploaded to the website prior to the submission deadline.
PUBLISHING RIGHTS All materials submitted to the 2021 RADA program become the property of Zonda Media. Zonda retains the right to consider all non-winning entries for future publication, but entrants will be notified beforehand. Keep a copy of all entry materials for your records. Note that awards are left up to the judges’ discretion: An award may not be granted in each category. All entries may also appear online in ARCHITECT's Project Gallery.
EARLY BIRD ENTRY Early bird entries must be registered online by Oct. 8, 2021. The fee is $150 for submissions in Standard Entry Categories and $120 for submissions in Specialty Entry Categories, as outlined above. Entry fees must be paid online by credit card, and are nonrefundable. Upon registering and paying the fee for the submission, entrants will have until the regular deadline to complete and upload their submission materials.
REGULAR ENTRY Entries registered after Oct. 8, up until the competition deadline, cost $200 per submission in the Standard Entry Category, and $170 in the Specialty Entry Category. Fees must be paid online by credit card, and are nonrefundable. Entrants will have until the regular deadline to complete and upload their submission materials. The regular entry deadline has been extended until Oct. 22, 2021 (11:59 p.m., EDT).